Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A different tune

Tom Petty said it best, “Wai-ai-ai-ai-ting is the hardest part.” 

Sitting on my hands. Biting my tongue. Waiting for action until the moment is just right.  These are not behaviors that come naturally for me.  I want to do, to move, to change, to achieve.
But sometimes life challenges me to pause. And then pause even longer. And then pause some more.

I. Hate. That.

For me, staying idle takes far more energy and focus than it ever takes to pounce. When it comes to trusting God, I sometimes have trouble listening, sitting, resting and waiting for HIM to move in His good and perfect timing.

Trouble is, when I try to take things into my own hands, it never ends well. I end up settling, hurting, agonizing and repairing. Premature pouncing produces messy regrets.

And so I wait. I listen. I surround myself by faithful encouragers, and I fill my heart with better lyrics.

“Trust and obey, for there’s no other way.”

“Where you go, I’ll go; where you stay, I’ll stay.”

“Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander”

“Be still and know that I am God.” 

These are not the tunes I’d choose to hum, but it's the song I’m called to sing.

No comments: