Sunday, September 21, 2008

Two reasons it still matters to me

So I was reading this article the other day, featuring the political viewpoints of four different Christian women. It was an interesting interview, and there was one particular quote that stood out to me.

The young woman said that she just didn't want to one of those "narrow minded" Christians who based their whole election day decision on one or two issues.

I get where she's coming from, and to a certain extent, I agree.

Should Christians protect the environment? Absolutely. Should we be concerned with the economy? No doubt. Should we be actively seeking solutions for the energy crisis, corruption on Wall Street, access to health care and even the war in Iraq? Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

But as narrow-minded as it makes me, there will always be one political issue that trumps all the others. Yes, you guessed it... protecting the unborn.

Some might be tempted to ask, "Does it even still matter?" Truth be told, I've asked myself the same thing. Short of a miracle, I don't see Roe vs. Wade being overturned any time in the foreseeable future.


But there ARE very important discussions taking place in the political arena related to abortion, and I, for one, think it's critical that we elect leaders who will champion the cause of the unborn.

So here's what that means to me in this election...


I'm not among those who think that McCain is the perfect candidate for our next president. I like him a lot, and he's got some really great traits. He's also got some real hang ups. Most importantly to me, he is pro-life.


Obama, on the other hand, has said that defining where life begins is above his pay grade. As a senator in Illinois, he has voted against the "Born Alive Infant Protection Act" which would providing basic health care to babies who survive abortion -- four times. Then there's the speech he made at a Planned Parenthood event where he said "The first thing I'd do as president is sign the Freedom of Choice Act." The Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) is legislation Obama has co-sponsored along with 18 other senators that would annihilate every single state law limiting or regulating abortion, including the federal ban on partial birth abortion.


Again ... call me simple, or close-minded, but those facts alone make the choice a pretty easy one. I can't, in good conscience, vote for anyone who would introduce legislation --- or appoint Supreme Court justices -- ultimately leading to more innocent lives lost.

But I guess since I titled this "My top two reasons it still matters to me" I should tell you my top two reasons why I'm so unashamedly pro-life: Katie and Caleb.

Katie, who will be seven in November, is evidence that God can make something beautiful out of a very ugly situation.


Deanna considered aborting her after finding out that she was pregnant at 17 by someone who had forced himself on her. Then Deanna felt God reassure her that He was still in control and had a plan for her life.

Katie is spunky, creative, and has an incredibly tender heart.



Caleb, who will be three in October, is evidence that God knows better.


Doctors wanted to talk to Stephanie and Ben about their "options" when his tests came back positive for a serious birth disorder. He arrived a little early -- 10 weeks to be exact, but otherwise perfectly healthy.


Caleb is sweet and funny, and quite possibly, the smartest little kid I've ever met.
Looking at my niece and nephew, I have to wonder ... how many Katies and Calebs has this world been deprived of simply because they were never given a chance at life?

3 comments:

Heather Day said...

Oops! Thanks Ben for catching my mistake. Caleb and Katie are my top two reasons for being pro-LIFE not choice. haha

Stephanie said...

I must be hormonal. You made me cry. :)

Ben Kumor said...

Sad fact. In 1996 (only year I could find stats for), there were 3.89 million live births and 1.37 million abortions in the US. More than 25% of all viable pregnancies that year ended in abortion, making a mother's uterus the most dangerous place in the world to be. Sad.