Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Caught in a lie

I discovered tonight that someone has been lying to me and to someone close to me. Repeated, blatant, and unneccesary lies.

So now I'm caught in a very tough spot. I either tell her I know, or avoid the confrontation by pretending it never happened.

I have pretty concrete evidence. Unfortunately, to tell her about it would be to acknowledge that we were suspicious of her all along and set up a trap that would unquestionably answer whether or not she was being truthful.

Actually, it was my "accomplice" who set the trap. She smelled a rat, even as I repeatedly gave the guilty party the benefit of the doubt. I made excuses for her. I came up with extreme scenarios in which her faulty stories would turn out to be credible. I trusted her in spite of mounting reasons why I shouldn't have.

And that sucks.

"So confront her," you say? Of course I should. But will I? No.

Because when it comes to these kind of things I'm a complete weenie. It would be uncomfortable, and I would officially sever our relationship, as dysfunctional of a relationship as it may be.

So tomorrow when I see her, I will smile and play the fool. Argh. I hate that about myself.

No comments: