Friday, July 4, 2008

His hobby is having hobbies


As I type this, Robert is "putting" a golf ball back and forth across the living room, trying to make it go into a plastic cup.


And he's doing this in his underwear.


Approximately 1 month ago, Robert started watching the golf channel. I cringed because I knew where this was leading. You see, when Robert takes an interest in something, he doesn't do it half-way. He is a professional hobby developer.


Like the time we went to the museum and saw an Egyptian exhibit ... he was reading books about Egypts for weeks. Or when he took up fishing, and suddenly we had a whole new collection of fishing rods, bait, how-to books -- and a boat -- all at our disposal. Or the day he became fascinated with turtles, and now Emma has a red ear slider in her room.


And so within a week of casually observing Tiger, he was scoping out clubs. I made him commit to me he would not even think about buying anything until he had at least been on the driving range three times. I lost. It's his brand new Jack Nicklaus set he's playing with right now.


But that's part of why I love him. Because there is no half-way with Robert. And so the day he asked me to marry him, I knew I had all of his heart.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Why have I not known of your blog before today! I am thoroughly enjoying myself reading your thoughts. :)