Friday, July 4, 2008

Freedom from diapers




So I declared this weekend Freedom from Diapers weekend.

I had grandiose visions of Emma jumping straight from diapers to "big girl panties" with little to no trouble at all. After all, she IS a genius.

Actually, I got a headstart last weekend. I put her in panties and figured she'd make a mess or two, then we'd be well on our way. Six pairs of underwear and two spots on the carpet and couch in a 3 hour period was a big reality check.

This weekend I went into it with renewed determination. We will prevail!

I forgot that she inherited her father's stubborn streak. Every time I take her to sit on her Dora potty (yes, only the finest for Emma), she squats for 2.5 seconds then jumps up shouting "Emma done" with not so much as a drop of urine in the plastic green bowl. And once she's made this declaration, there's no convincing her otherwise. Argh.

I was on the verge of giving up, when my little darling had a breakthrough. I was vacuuming the hallway, and looked in the bathroom where she had walked all by herself to sit on her potty. I looked just in time to see her stand up and pronounce "Emma done." I thought, "yeah right," but I checked it out anyway.

Pee! There was pee! We did a dance. We joyously wiped. We washed our hands. We ceremoniously put on a Dora sticker (actually, "Backpack" to be exact). It was truly glorious!

Maybe next time she'll even know to pull down her panties first.